Even a totaled car has value. If you find yourself left with a junk car and need to get rid of it, you can make some good cash in the process. There’s no catch—it just takes a little bit of research to get a great deal! You can even sell a car without title!
The place to start: do you have a title for your car? If not, then there’ll be a few more steps to follow before selling your junk car.
WHAT IS A CAR’S TITLE?
The title (AKA “certificate of title”) is the proof of ownership of a particular vehicle. Without it, there is no way to prove you own the vehicle, which could lead to complications, if unresolved. In many states, lacking a title could limit you from obtaining license plates, registering for car insurance, and potentially selling your scrap car for cash.
Related Article: How to junk my car in San Diego?
CAN I GET TOP DOLLAR FOR A TITLE-LESS CAR?
Even if you don’t have a title for your car, you should still attempt to sell it to a junkyard. Most buyers of scrap cars will ask for a title to ensure that you’re not selling a stolen or fraudulent vehicle. This may be a business policy, however, and not a state-specific law—so there’s a chance that the buyer may be lenient if you present other information, such as a driver’s license or registration.
Be sure to know your state’s laws regarding the sale of title-less cars. Any information is leverage in a sale!
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN “REGISTRATION” & “TITLE”
A registration is proof from the state that a vehicle can be legally driven on public roads—whereas a car title officially states crucial details about the vehicle itself; such as the owner, car model, and other vehicle-specific details.
Related Article: How to Sell a Broken Down Car for Cash?
IF YOU DON’T HAVE A TITLE
It could take anywhere from a day to a few weeks to obtain a title for your car, so it’s best to start as soon as possible. You can technically sell your car without a title, but we suggest figuring out your title situation before approaching a buyer, as it can give you more leverage in your price negotiation.
CHECK YOUR LOCAL DMV FOR THE TITLE
If you don’t have a loan against your car, you can visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles to request a replacement title. Because all vehicle purchases are reported to the DMV database, you should be able to find answers there.
If you’re wary of a DMV trip, you may be able to find alternatives, such as satellite offices, title offices, or even a title department in a local courthouse or city hall.
Related Article: How Much is My Junk Car Worth?
ASK YOUR BANK WHEN THE BANK OWNS THE TITLE
If you’ve taken out a car loan and haven’t yet paid the balance, it’s possible that the bank, lender, or lienholder has your car’s title. The same goes for cars purchases with financing from a bank.
For this reason, you should be sure that all car loans are paid off before selling a vehicle.
OTHER WAYS TO SHOW OWNERSHIP
If you don’t have a title, it could help to have some alternative documentation:
- Written Bill of Sale
- VIN Inspection
- Driver’s License
To be clear: nothing is certain to satisfy a buyer, but these may help you close a title-less sale.
FIND SALVAGE YARDS THAT DON’T REQUIRE TITLES
- First, start by searching out the junkyards and auto salvage yards in your area. It’s the same old process you’d use for finding any sort of business: Whitepages, Google Maps, Yelp—whichever you prefer.
- Once your list is put together, give each location a call or visit. Ask if they purchase scrap cars without a title. Or, ask “What documentation do you require?”.
- TIP: Every junkyard has different policies regarding documentation. Some may categorically reject any vehicle without a title—whereas others may require only a driver’s license or registration.
- Every Buyer is different—so keep asking around! It can be a long process, but it’s worth it to know that you’re getting the best price possible, especially considering the documentation you have on-hand and your preferred timeframe for selling.
- Why not try us out? Quick Cash for Car guarantees a price 10% better than any quote you show us from our competitors! No bait-and-switch, no price-swapping: Our quote is our quote.
SELL YOUR JUNK CAR FOR TOP DOLLAR
Quick Cash For Car will pay top dollar for your scrap car, because we make the most out of junk cars we acquire.
SAME DAY PICK UP AND NO COST TOWING
Unlike many of our competitors, we can tow your scrap car the same day we accept your offer. This way, you don’t have to worry about transporting your junk car to a Quick Cash location.
We’ll come to you, pay you in cash, and tow away your old vehicle!